Thursday, October 1, 2015

"The Clairvoyant's Glasses"
by Helen Goltz
♥ Review & Blog-Tour ♥


The Clairvoyant’s Glasses by Helen Goltz 
Published by: Atlas Productions
Publication date: September 28th 2015
Genres: New Adult, Paranormal, Romance

When I first picked up The Clairvoyant's Glasses by Helen Goltz, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The blurb had hinted on either something paranormal, or a book full of "daffy". Every now and then I enjoy a paranormal read, but by now a lot of them are a case of been there, read that, revolving mainly around a love triangle with a little bit of supernatural or magic on the side, mainly to complicate things. While you definitely do have a bit of a love triangle - or two, or three - in this novel, they aren't the center of attention. They are what happens in the background, what drives and at times motivates the characters; but in The Clairvoyant's Glasses's case, the triangles are what's on the side and the main focus is on the paranormal and on how those affected and involved deal and live with it.

That being said, there is a lot of character development in this novel, which definitely contributes to it being a great read as well. The main character starts out as being super superficial and absolutely self-centered, but in the course of the story she does a one-eighty and completely changes her ways without ever losing herself - I guess, in a way, you could say she manages to grow up a whole lot in the shortest of times. Except for when it comes to guys, but that's a whole different story - one that you will have to discover and explore on your own... (;
Another thing that is truly amazing about this book is how the author has managed to wrap historical events into the story, and you'll even get to 'meet' the Brontë sisters, which, in my eyes, earned Goltz and her novel some extra brownie points. The mention of pieces of history and the way they are presented makes it easy to follow and understand the world created by the writer, and adds to the story seeming 'real' despite it paranormal aspects. 

However, The Clairvoyant's Glasses isn't just a book for the lover of paranormal romance novels. It is a book that I find very hard to label, because it crosses the lines of so many genres. You do have the paranormal and the romance, but you also get your fill of mystery, crime and suspense, as the main character gets to work hand in hand with a (very hot, dark and brooding hunk of a) detective. In the beginning, I thought it would be YA, but you do get your steamy moments, so NA would probably be a little more fitting. All in all, I think Paranormal NA Novel would cover it the best - but I am sure you're in for a treat with this rather fast read no matter what your favorite genre might be.

The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the fact that my ship never happened... but I'll just have to remain hopeful that there will be a second part, which the ending of this novel would definitely foreshadow. It's not exactly a cliffhanger, yet somewhat of an open end, and I will keep my fingers crossed for my OTP!

5/5
When Sophie Carell was eight-years-old, her eccentric, clairvoyant great aunt, Daphne, predicted Sophie would be one of the greatest clairvoyants of her time. Sophie wanted to be a movie star. Her mother said not to worry about it—Aunt Daphne was daffy.

When Sophie is called to the reading of Daphne’s Will, she is given a pair of glasses that will change her life. But that’s not all she acquires. Along with the glasses, Sophie ‘inherits’ a protector—the handsome and powerful Lukas Lens; plus brooding Detective Murdoch Ashcroft who is keen for Sophie to fill her aunt’s shoes and put her talents to work for him.

Sophie has to decide if she will focus on her acting career or explore her new-found clairvoyant skills. But danger lurks around the corner…

Sophie entered her aunt’s former office; she looked small surrounded by the huge wall-to-floor windows. Even the desk felt big as she lowered herself behind it, adjusting the chair and setting up her diary and laptop. She looked up and jumped with fright. A man filled the doorway—tall, well-built with dark hair, he appeared from nowhere.
   “Sorry,” he said, stepping out of the light.
   “You scared me; couldn’t you cough or something?” She covered her heart with her hand. “Who are you?”
   The suited man stepped forward and offered his hand. “Sorry to upset you on your first day on the job. I’m Detective Murdoch Ashcroft.”
   Sophie stood and shook his hand. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be cranky, but it’s all a little… scary at the moment,” She self-consciously straightened her pale lemon dress and then her hair. He was handsome, way too handsome for his own good, she thought.
   He looked around. “Scary, huh? I’ve always loved this room.”
   “So, you’re a detective, Detective Ashcroft? Hmm, then you of all people should know not to sneak up on unsuspecting persons.” Sophie moved away from the desk and to the window where two couches were placed. She indicated a deep leather chair opposite and he stepped forward and lowered his tall frame into it. She sat opposite.
   “So, I expect your aunt mentioned me?” he said.
   “Nope,” she answered which wasn’t quite true as she knew her aunt worked with the police, but she thought the detective’s ego seemed big enough to fill the room already.
   “Oh.” He looked crestfallen. “But you inherited her skills and her… uh office.” He looked around again and returned his gaze to her. “I like what you’ve done with the place as they say.” 
   Sophie smirked. “I haven’t done anything yet, but throw out all of Daphne’s junk.” 
   “Yes, it’s called the minimalist look—clean, I like it.” Murdoch nodded. 
   “Me too, I can’t bear clutter,” Sophie agreed. “I got a huge bin delivered, threw everything into it and had them take it away.”
   “You didn’t throw away Miss Sharpe by accident?”
   Sophie laughed. “Goodness no. Besides she would have known in advance... she is worse than Daphne!”
   Detective Murdoch Ashcroft laughed a hearty laugh. Definite potential, Sophie thought. She studied him; he had the darkest eyes she had ever seen and was ruggedly handsome, and no wedding ring. She imagined he could handle himself.


After studying English Literature and Communications at universities in Queensland, Australia, Helen Goltz has worked as a journalist and marketer in print, TV, radio and public relations. Helen is the author of seven books and is published by Clan Destine Press and Atlas Productions.

Q: What inspired this book?
A: I went to a psychic and she asked to hold something that was important to me. I gave her my wristwatch which was a gift from Mum. Then I began thinking ‘what if psychic power could be transferred by an object?’ That got me thinking about psychic talent being handed down from generation to generation. I was also terrified by Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds, when I was a kid. My sister and I were babysitting our two younger siblings and we were up late watching it one night. I love birds, but they’ve always freaked me out just a little. They play a significant role in The Clairvoyant’s Glasses.

Q: Do you plot your stories or just sit down and write?
A: I’ll have an idea of the bones of the story and then I let it roll out. A couple of times I have sat down and planned the book, the plot, timeline and characters, but then I have found it hard to write because it was prescriptive. So in most cases, as I did with The Clairvoyant’s Glasses, I let it flow. I have to tell you, sometimes my characters really surprise. Something I just don’t see things coming. :)

Q: Do you read your reviews?
A: I love this question because I don’t think readers and reviewers realise the impact they can have on an author. I get reviews from NetGalley, Amazon and Goodreads and the positive reviews are really heartening. They give you a lift and make you feel like you are doing something right. I’ve had some gracious negative reviews too, and I understand not everyone is going to love your book, but the nasty ones do sting. You have to develop a bit of a thick skin, if possible.

Q: Who are the main male characters and why will we love them?
A: There are three delicious men in The Clairvoyant’s Glasses. Lukas the protector is tall, sophisticated, handsome (of course) and a powerful witch. Murdoch the police officer is the opposite—dark of feature, brooding, well-built and sure of himself. I’ve also included a very cocky Irish Journalist, Daniel who is sporty, boyish and trouble. Personally, I’m torn between Lucas and Murdoch.

Q: Sophie, the lead character, has a core set of friends and many of your characters receive support from friends but have little family. Is that intentional? 
A: To some degree. Many people aren’t blessed with a good family or don’t have the network of family like our parents or grandparents did. So our friendships become family. Sophie is very much supported by the people around her, who stick by her even when she is ‘all about Sophie’.

Q: If your book was to be made into a movie, who would you want to play the lead characters?
A: I often have images of the characters in my head when I write them, so here’s my cast list:
Sophie:  Jennifer Lawrence
Lucy:  Emma Stone or Nina Dobrev
Orli: Dakota Fanning or Amanda Seyfried
Lukas: Robert Pattinson maybe … or Liam Hemsworth (a bit of Australian bias there)
Murdoch: Zac Efron or Taylor Lautner or Evan Ross
Daniel: Colton Haynes or Alex Pettyfer or Chase Crawford

Q: What's coming up next for you?
A: So many stories, so little time. I’m keen to get back to writing the next Mitchell Parker book—my vulnerable and sexy FBI agent. But I’m at proofing stage with a psychological thriller at the moment. Plus I am halfway through writing my second YA book, Ophelia, aground and I’ve got to start book two in The Clairvoyant’s Glasses series.

Find The Clairvoyant's Glasses on goodreads || amazon US || amazon DE || amazon UK || amazon AU
Visit Helen Goltz on her website || goodreads || facebook || twitter
Visit Atlas Productions on their website || facebook || twitter


*** I received an ARC from the author ***

No comments:

Post a Comment